Lonely (short story)

I woke up and it was like any other day. 

Nocturnal by habit because that is the only time I can get head-space, a phrase that means the compression feeling goes and I can expand into creative realms where I feel relaxed and peaceful. When the city is awake, their psychic collective is compressing, their general average interests and the manifestations of their preconceptions that science tells us now has been proven to be what generates reality, closes me down, its an assault I feel physically. 

I woke and wasn’t sure what time it was; the alarm on my phone told me it is ten am which should be light by now. I pulled open the curtains and it wasn’t. It was black outside. This is wrong; even at night there is a garden, neighboring houses, trees, a hill, the cloudy skies. Glow of street lamps off clouds. It shouldn’t be black like that. As if someone had sprayed the windows with black paint as I slept. I opened the window. 

A cool breeze would have been refreshing. This was nothing. No atmosphere, only a void. I frowned. Caveman forehead. I took a deep breath and fell into routine, went to the toilet, boiled the kettle. It did actually boil which means the electric is on. The water tank filled up which meant pipes are still connected. It would have been very different if these links o the external world had ceased. The blackness was outside the front door too and i didn’t dare to step outside. I threw something disposable, an old chipped cup, far enough that I knew it would land on the pavement across the street, if such a thing was there, masked somehow by a black holographic projection. It disappeared. Difficult to tell exactly how far from my hand, how far from the front door, before it vanished. Just, gone, mid spin. 

I ate some breakfast, yeast extract on burnt toast. Did some yoga breathing and realised that other than myself and the crap in my dwelling space, the whole world had just disappeared. I haven’t got any credit on my phone anyway so I switched on the internet and tried to talk with people on a chat forum. The internet was black too. All the records were there, the database but the live connections were all down. All of it. 

I masturbated and finished my coffee, black because the milk had gone off in the fridge. The fuck is going on? No rope in the house but some bedsheets, knotted together to tie to my belt and to the stairs, and I stepped out of the door into the black. Nothing under my feet, I was floating. No stars. It was like being in space, the zero-gravity. I hoisted myself back in. 

Okay, now I have my bearings. I am in a void with my apartment. Not really much change there. I ate a banana and decided that I’m going to be screwed when the food runs out. Checked internet again, no change. Tried to put some money on my phone but that didn’t work either, the automated machine kept me going in circles until I gave up on it. I screamed out the front door to relieve some pressure and i wrote this note. Post it to my blog site and see what happens.



http://www.mlwasiela.nl/page/2/

Comments

Popular Posts